Thursday, September 19, 2013

All done with class!

This morning I took my final exam for my European Comparative Law and Society class. Overall, I think that the class was really interesting. First, we started by learning about what legal culture is, and how it affects people's interactions with the law in Italy vs the US. Then we compared the constitutions of Italy and America. Next we learned about the freedom of religion. In Italy it is acceptable to have crosses in public places. However, that is not the case in the U.S. Next we learned about the right to die. There were two cases (one in Italy one in the U.S.) that were very similar. Both ended with the court granting permission to remove the feeding tube of a lady in a constant vegetative state. It's interesting how the first case in America set the stage for the case in Italy. Then we learned about immigration and push back efforts be Italy and the United States. Italy got penalized for sending people back to their home countries in violation with European Law. The U.S. on the other hand gets away with pushing people back on boats and preventing them from entering the country. At that point the class changed to intermediary liability. We learned that because of section 230 of the Communications Decency Act was upheld by the Supreme Court, internet platforms are not liable for anything anyone posts on their website. This is supposed to permit free speech by not holding large companies liable. Then we learned about Italian and European data privacy law.

Overall, the class was very very interesting! I wish that I could have taken the class for a whole quarter! Although I'm sad it's over, I am very excited to come home and start fall classes in a week!

I only have 1 more day in Rome, and then I fly home! This trip has been a life changing experience and I have valued every day of it! I am so lucky that I got the chance to come here. Although Rome is wonderful, I am very excited to come home and see my family and friends!

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. You did it! Congratulations and sooooo happy is was such a worthwhile experience. I can hardly wait to see you! Ciao!

    ReplyDelete